Sunday, September 7, 2014

Gun Day Sunday Hits the Target

September 7, 2014

"Gun Day Sunday." That's how pastor Joe billed it. An afternoon of shooting followed by dogs and drinks, guys only. More than one woman in the church protested that last part, but it was a "guys only" event, and was a huge success. Everyone brought what they had, and we all had a good time. It's not the sort of recreation that would go over in every church, but here at Park, I can specifically remember 26 men being there, making lots of noise and cementing friendships. Now, I am sitting with my wife, watching Forrest Gump on TV. It's one of the few movies I can watch more than once and enjoy it every time, especially with Linda by my side.

All this was on the heels of the morning's worship, which again brought me into the presence of the Lord with the soaring music of "Forever," led by our Bri Katilus. The melody is beautiful, but it's the lyrics describing the work of Christ in his death and resurrection that paint a picture of the power and victory bought at such cost for us:

The moon and stars they wept
The morning sun was dead
The Saviour of the world was fallen
His body on the cross
His blood poured out for us
The weight of every curse upon him

One final breath he gave
As heaven looked away
The son of God was laid in darkness
A battle in the grave
The war on death was waged
The power of hell forever broken

The ground began to shake
The stone was rolled away
his perfect love could not be overcome
Now death where is your sting?
Our resurrected King
Has rendered you defeated

Forever he is glorified
Forever he is lifted high
Forever he is risen
He is alive, He is alive!

Pastor Joe preached on forgiveness, and once again hit the mark. God convicted me of my need to seek forgiveness from at least two of the people who left Park church in anger ten years ago. I haven't thought much about it, but when Joe spoke of how we tend to avoid certain people because of our unforgiveness, God caught me and brought two men to mind. The circumstances under which they left has ceased to be the point; I have to deal with my own attitude, my own heart. Whether or not they were aware of it, God revealed to me today that my heart towards them hasn't been right, which means I must go to them and seek forgiveness.

It was a fun afternoon and a pleasant evening, but it's the worship for which I am most thankful. I was moved to worship from the heart by the music, and moved to repentance by the preaching. I am grateful for both; the former for the humbling privilege of being in God's presence, and the latter because it means I am not so hardened or obtuse that God's grace cannot break through. He isn't done with me yet! But now I have work to do. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to the freedom and blessing I know will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment