Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mayberry Lives!

September 13, 2014

Sometimes it feels like I'm living in a dream world. In 1967, Camelot hit the big screen after a Broadway run of over 800 shows that began in 1960. It's the story of a utopian kingdom that goes awry, but in spite of all his dreams having collapsed and his kingdom in ruins, King Arthur still hopes as he knights a young boy and tells him,

"Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment that was known
As Camelot."

Today began with a hectic 7:00 am rise and shine with ten grandkids who were sleeping all over the house. Linda had risen half an hour earlier to fix French toast, and by the time I came downstairs after showering, Alex and Abi were already finishing theirs. One by one, the others stirred and made their way to the table, and by 8:30, I was out the door for the opening ceremonies of Sinclairville's History Days. Turns out, I didn't need to be there quite that early, so I came home to get my bike for the parade. I must have made quite a sight, dressed in suit and tie for the wedding that would follow at 1:00, but at least the rain held off.

At the ceremonies, I spoke about gratitude and grace, how God has taught me the importance of both and how they are connected. I spoke of the microscopic view of life I have learned, and how the small things, the relationships and connections we enjoy in little insignificant places like Sinclairville shape our lives in significant ways. Then Linda and I were presented with a plaque honoring us for 33 years service to the village, a gift I hadn't anticipated, and feel humbled to receive. I told the people what a privilege it is to be a part of this community. Most of my pastor friends will never have the honor I have had to live in one community for most of their lives. I have been blessed beyond measure, and expect one day to be laid to rest in the cemetery just across the road and up the hill from our house. This village is truly home.

I was able to ride my bike in the parade, then our praise band played in the bandstand for an hour. It was cold, and I was dressed in suit, dress overcoat, and Panama hat, which must have looked pretty out of place, but I had a wedding to go to, so it didn't matter.

The wedding was beautiful; Heather and Matt beginning life together. I've known Heather since she was a little girl, so this was special, and all the more so because it is my last wedding. I am so glad I could finish on such a high note. They are a great young couple, and it was a delightful privilege to officiate for them.

After the wedding, Linda and I detoured to Home Depot to pick up an extender for the toilet waste pipe, which I was able to install in about fifteen minutes. Woo Hoo! That job is done! A week with only one bathroom is about eight days too long.

While at the wedding reception, Nate texted me that he was borrowing my new zero turn lawn mower, and a short while later another text arrived telling me it was broken. "You're kidding!" I texted back. No, he wasn't. Fortunately, it was only a broken belt, but it was just one of a series of mishaps in his day. He was upset that he had broken my mower, probably because it followed on his cleaning the chimney only to discover that there was moisture getting in around his flashing; bad news! Then came the mower breakdown. Pastor Joe came over to help install the new belt Nate picked up from Tony's Edge and Engine, so while we were tackling that project, Nate decided to split wood. Unfortunately, it was some of the gnarliest stuff he had ever seen, taking him far longer than it should have. Lawn mower fixed, we unloaded the one load he had managed to split, he parked his tractor, and when he went to turn out the barn light, pulled the chain right out of the fixture. Sounds like a Chevy Chase comedy! The good news is, we have one another, I am retired, and can help him with projects just as he has helped me and so many others. I have been on the receiving end of the skills and good will of so many friends in the years I have lived in Sinclairville, and passing it along is a no-brainer.

The day ended with fireworks in the park, my writing these words, and a review of the sermon I'll be delivering tomorrow for my friend Cameron. Nate's day was somewhat frustrating, but we help one another through these minor irritations, and I look around me, amazed at God's goodness in giving me this life and I didn't earn and certainly don't deserve. I told the people today about the microscopic approach to life; today was a shining example of it. Perfect? No. Filled with grace and wonder? Absolutely! I bow in gratitude, humbled by the people and the love that have dogged my path relentlessly and blessed me beyond my wildest imaginations. Will it last forever? Few things do, but I remember the words of King Arthur: "Don't let it be forgot that once there was a spot for one brief moment that was known as Camelot." It may be a fairy tale to most, but that's where I make my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment