Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Simple Happy Day

September 30, 2014

How can I thank Thee? Let me count the ways. First, the colonoscopy. Everything came out all right in the end. Ha! All clear; no polyps or anything. When I got home, Harry was in our bathroom wiring two lights, a fan and the receptacle. It was quite a tangle of wires up in the ceiling, and although Harry had drawn me a wiring diagram, I wasn't looking forward to the job. Turns out there are a couple different ways switches can be wired, depending on whether the power flows first to them or to the fixture they control. Harry's diagram was for the first scenario; we had the second. He saved me a ton of work!

They told me today would be a sleepy day, but they lied. I feel fine; even though I had been up till about 2:00 am with the colonoscopy preparation, I'm not tired, so I practiced my bass and worked on the sink plumbing. The former was fun and productive; the latter was somewhat of a mistake. Old house, hodge-podge plumbing; it's not pretty. I needed longer supplies to the sink, so we drove to Cassadaga and picked up a couple, along with some wire for the lamp I'm working on. Of course, the plumbing to the supplies isn't standard, so nothing would connect without the adapters I don't have. Dinner with Matt and Jeanine, their kids and a couple of Nate's was a nice respite from plumbing woes.

Rewiring the antique floor lamp that's been tickling me when I touched it was more successful, at least after I tripped the breaker for the back room, leaving us in darkness. Twice. That was when I found the extra wire nut lying on the counter. Electricity has never been my forte, but it was an easy fix, and now I'm basking in the light of a non-tickling antique lamp.

There's more, but it's all of the same variety; life filled with simple things and good people, blessings from God that wash over us day after day. None of it will make the evening news, and none of it will likely change the course of history, but I am incredibly blessed by the small stuff that comes my way daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment