Monday, September 22, 2014

Friends New and Old

September 22, 2014

For the past two weeks, I've been filling in preaching for a friend. It's been a wonderful experience, meeting some new folks, reconnecting with others from his church whom I've known for years; but I've especially enjoyed the focus and clarity that comes from the peculiar methodology of sermon preparation. What I haven't enjoyed is being away from the people at Park church who have been my life for over 30 years.

Tonight I went to men's Bible study, but got waylaid by pastor Joe on the way in. He wanted to bounce some ideas for ministry off me, ideas which incidentally, involved my participation. We talked, and one thing led to another, and before we knew it, time had flown and we never did get into the Bible study. But our time talking just reinforced my appreciation for this man; I am so grateful for his integrity, his love for Christ, his passion for evangelism, and his sense of self-identity that isn't threatened by having the former pastor in his congregation.

Ten years ago, Park church went through an upheaval that nearly buried us. The one thing for which I asked God and our bishop was the opportunity to try to put things back together again. I figured that since it fell apart on my watch, it was my responsibility to do everything I could to put it back together. My prayer and my goal was to be able to hand over a healthy congregation to my successor. Although it took a bit longer than I had hoped, God answered that prayer beyond my wildest dreams. All the signs point to Park church being on the cusp of explosive growth. I get to be a part of it without having the responsibility of managing it. That is pastor Joe's job, and I am grateful to be playing a supportive role instead of having to lead it. Joe and I had a good conversation, another reminder of how blessed I am to be followed by such a capable young man.

When Bible study was over, the guys milled around for awhile, talking informally as we often do. After about fifteen minutes, the crowd began to thin out, and I had the opportunity to talk with my best friend Harry. Being away these past two weeks, I haven't seen much of him, and it felt as if I were on some kind of friendship withdrawal. We talked about the Cuba mission, my bathroom project, his fireplace reconstruction, and the New Horizons Band of which we are both members. Nothing major. Nothing dramatic. But friends don't need big issues or drama; in fact, friendships work best when they travel well-worn paths that wend their ways through familiar places. Years ago, Harry gave me a paperweight inscribed with these words: "It takes a long time to grow an old friend." We've had time, and from it has come a friendship that as the Bible says, "is closer than a brother." Ordinary conversation with an old friend tonight filled an empty place in my soul, and for that, I am deeply and humbly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment