Sunday, April 14, 2024

My Favorite

 April 14, 2024

I’m home from this season’s Footsteps Weekend, a spiritual retreat for youth by youth. I was there by invitation, serving as one of two Spiritual Directors. Most of the time, I sat and listened as different teenagers led the sessions, talking about various issues they face and how their relationship with Christ has made a difference. It was an amazing experience; one I hope to have again.


I must say, I’ve never felt completely comfortable working with teenagers. I’m not particularly garrulous; I’m about as big a contrast between Steve Martin’s “Wild and Crazy Guy” as you can get. So for most of the weekend, I observed as the kids interacted with each other, engaging when I could, but letting the youth leaders do their work without interference. 


All of this is prelude to what to me is the most amazing and touching experience of the weekend. Every time I walked past one particular young lady, she smiled and said, “You’re my favorite!” I have no idea how this came about. If she were one of my granddaughters, I wouldn’t be surprised, but she’s not. I’ve not had any more contact with her than with any of the others, yet she was relentless; a smile and “You are my favorite.” 


If such a word of affirmation can touch an old man’s heart, can you imagine what your word of affirmation could mean to someone who is rarely blessed with kindness and mercy? The one in need might not be your favorite, but she is God’s. The clerk at the supermarket, the waitress at the restaurant, the annoying kid who gets under your skin, the student or co-worker who is always baiting you; I’ll bet hearing words like this could turn a bad day into a good day, and might even give you the opportunity to speak the name of Jesus. 


“You are my favorite.” I didn’t ask “Favorite what?” I was too busy basking in the warmth of the moment. Give that moment to someone this week. It might change both of your lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment