Tuesday, April 9, 2024

God Sees

 April 9, 2024

When the John the Baptist was asked if he were the prophet Elijah who had been foretold would precede the coming of the Messiah (Malachi 3:1), he denied it (John 1:21), but in Matthew 11:14, Jesus said of him, “If you are ready to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come.”


At first glance, this seems like a contradiction, but I don’t think that’s the case. Sunday night in our discipleship group, our leader encouraged us to ask God how he sees us. Everyone else had words of grace, forgiveness, encouragement. When it was my turn, I said, “I’m not hearing anything.” I modified that comment, “If anything, all I hear are words like, “Well, you messed that up again,” or “I’d think you know better by now.” Not particularly kind to the ego.


Yesterday I got to thinking about that question again, but this time the answer came back a bit differently. “Yes, you messed that up, but you didn’t quit. You got right back up after you fell down.” I could envision God picking me up, dusting me off, and saying, “Let’s give it another try.”


I suspect that’s what’s happening in these Scriptures. John’s evaluation of himself was far less than Jesus’ evaluation of him. John saw himself merely as a voice crying out in the wilderness. Jesus saw him as a modern-day Elijah. It’s a lesson we don’t want to miss. Our self-evaluation is often considerably more critical and judgmental than God’s evaluation of us. One of the hardest lessons in life is to learn to see ourselves as God sees us: forgiven, holy, clothed in the righteousness of Christ, full of wisdom and power.


It’s a good question to ask God: “How do you see me?” Be sure to lay aside your own opinion and listen carefully to God’s words of grace and encouragement. Even if there is major work to be done; sins to confess, forgiveness to seek, wisdom to be found, God sees you far differently than you see yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment