Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Doing Good

April 3, 2024


Yesterday we began looking at Psalm 37:3 and the command to trust in the Lord. Today we take the second half of the first phrase of that verse—“and do good.” It’s a whole lot easier to say, “I trust in the Lord,” than to simply do good. But it’s the doing good that gives credence to our trusting in God. If I’m not doing good, my words mean nothing, as James says, “Faith without works is dead” (2:20).


Some people mistakenly think that the more good they do, the more God will love them, or even that their good works will get them into heaven. It doesn’t work that way. I do good things for my wife not to earn her love, but because I already have it, and want to bless her as she has already blessed me. It’s the same with God. When we trust in him, we want to do good as a way of saying ‘Thank you for all you’ve done for me.’


Why not go out of your way to do something good today, just as your way of saying thank you to God for all he’s done for you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment