Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Uncomfortable

  October 3, 2023

Conventional wisdom these days tells us to follow our hearts, to pursue our passions. It sounds so logical, the pathway to success. After all, “if you do what you love, you’ll never have to work a day in your life.” So the saying goes. Even in the Church, we hear such advice peddled, but it doesn’t always work that way.


The primary business of any Christian is to do the will of God in Christ. This often gets equated with doing what we are naturally good at. The Spiritual Gifts movement is a prime example. If we do what we tend to be good at, we have a better chance at success than if we are stuck with tasks we hate. It all makes sense. 


This morning at our pastors’ prayer group, we were challenged to lean into what is uncomfortable, to refuse to settle for the familiar and pleasant paths of life. “What is God calling you to do that makes you uneasy” was the question. The leader told of God asking him when was the last time he had led someone to faith in Christ, and then, when was the last time he even spoke to an unbeliever about Jesus? He continued, “Every day for the month of October, I will find at least one person to speak to about Jesus.” 


That’s a big challenge! I got to thinking, “Today, I planned on harvesting honey and maybe splitting wood. I don’t think I’ll even see an unbeliever today.” Just as quickly as those thoughts came into mind, the names Dominic, Madi, Dan, and Sam; the first being two of our “Creek Kids,” and the last two a young couple who moved in down the road from us. I didn’t get to Dominic and Madi, but before going to our grandson’s soccer game, I made sure to stop at Dan and Sam’s with a promised jar of honey. Turns out that our son Nate has also stopped by and even invited them to a barbeque. 


Today’s challenge is big for me; as an introvert, I have to force myself to go out of my way to meet new people. I’m fortunate to be married to Linda, who thrives on people. I’ve watched her for more than fifty years, and am grateful for all the times she pushed me to step out of my shell. My life would be so much emptier had I been left to my own ways. My Bible reading today took me to Romans 5:8 where Paul says, “God proved his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” If Jesus as Paul says in Philippians—


“Being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”


—if Jesus could do all that, what excuse do I have for refusing to leave my comfort zone for the sake of another who has yet to hear how much God loves them?


No comments:

Post a Comment