Monday, October 16, 2023

Driven to Pray

October 16, 2023


Sometimes I think I should have become a truck driver. I’ve often said prayer is difficult for me. My mind wanders, I get sleepy, and my prayers fade in and out. Some people say they pray while they’re working out or running; I don’t run much, but when I work out, I’m too busy gasping for breath to think about praying. I can’t pray when working with my bees—concentrating on the task at hand is crucial to avoiding apicultural disaster. I don’t mind a few stings, but the best way to avoid an overabundance of them is to pay attention.


Driving however, requires what I call “mindless attentiveness.” I keep aware of my speed and surroundings, but there is for me, a sweet spot where I can drive and pray for hours. I don’t like listening to the radio, so it’s an ideal opportunity for me to pray. Today I had to drive to Buffalo and back; two hours of uninterrupted prayer. Praying for family and friends, for our world, for the church, for wisdom in decisions drew me closer in my heart both to the Lord and to them.


I don’t get to drive like that often, but when I do, it is like a fresh wind in my spiritual sails. It blew steadily today, for which I am thankful tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment