Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Forgiveness and Faith

October 4, 2023


The call came this afternoon; would I officiate at a graveside service for a friend’s brother? Of course I said I would, and then my brain kicked into gear. What would I say about a man I’ve never met? To be honest, the answer is, “not much.” What I can do is talk about the Man I have met—Jesus Christ. My job is to do just that, because it’s only in Jesus that we have hope for eternal life.


As I thought about it, it occurred to me that when we face death, we have to do two seemingly contradictory things. We have to let go, and we have to hold on. The first has to do with forgiveness, the second with faith. People get bound in both constructive and destructive ways to their loved ones. Forgiveness is simply the process of letting go of those parts of our relationships that are toxic. Every human relationship has elements of toxicity that often cripple the soul. Forgiveness is how we let go of those parts.


Faith by contrast, is how we hold on to that which is good, both human and divine. When we place our trust in Christ who loves and gave himself for us, we find the strength and courage to let go and hold on. Death is like a trapeze act. The only way it’s done well is when we learn to let go. For a time, we are suspended between the bars, trusting that Someone will grab us so we don’t tumble to the ground. 


Forgiveness and Faith; Letting go and Holding on. It’s what I’ll be talking about tomorrow, and what we need to learn today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment