Thursday, October 5, 2023

Prepared

 October 5, 2023

It’s a woman thing, I know, but one from which I could learn a few things. Our friends Chuck and Kelly are on their way from Virginia to visit for a week. They should be pulling into our driveway any time now. As the resident guy in this story, my job is simply to ask, “What do you need me to do?” And then do it. I’m pretty laid back about stuff like this, but Linda has been planning and working like a mini tornado to make sure everything is ready for them. 


She has cleaned the house from top to bottom (it didn’t look dirty to me!), changed linens, shopped for meals, even preparing one in advance, and even set up a mini office for Kelly to do her computer work while here. I’m probably forgetting things, but you get the picture. She wants everything to be just right for when our guests arrive. If it had been up to me, they would have to fight their way through dust bunnies just to get to bed.


There’s a lesson in all this. What if we approached the return of our Savior Jesus Christ with the same intensity Linda prepared for our friends? My guess is that most of us prepare for Jesus’ Second Coming like I prepare for our guests—i.e. we don’t. Jesus is on his way; we don’t know exactly when he’ll arrive, but he is coming. Have we made ready for him? Have we prepared?


No comments:

Post a Comment