Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Peace

 October 10, 2023

Back in 2013 when I started my nightly musings, it was with clear (to me) instructions from the Lord to stay away from political commentary, which I’ve tried to do. Psalm 131 has been my mantra:


“O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; 

my eyes are not raised too high; 

I do not occupy myself with things 

too great and too marvelous for me. 

But I have calmed and quieted my soul, 

like a weaned child with its mother; 

like a weaned child is my soul within me. 

O Israel, hope in the Lord 

from this time forth and forevermore.”


It has at times been hard; momentous events continue to unfold around us from time to time, which makes my musings seem small and insignificant by comparison. How can ordinary events in a small backwater village compete with what happens in Washington, Beijing, Moscow, or Tehran? 


The events of the last few days, Hamas’ sudden barbarous attack upon Israel has rocked the world. What can I possibly write that does justice to the horrific tragedy we see unfolding in Israel? Once again, evil has come out of the shadows and out in the open while political ideology prevents many from condemning such unprovoked aggression. The Biblical injunction of Isaiah declaring, “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil…” seems appropriate here. 


The Holy Scriptures command us to “pray for the peace of Jerusalem” (Psalm 122). I do so tonight, and hope you will, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment