Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Hymns

 October 18, 2023

Music is one of God’s best gifts to us. It doesn’t match his love, grace, and mercy shown in Jesus’ death and resurrection, but it has enormous power to heal. When king Saul was in the grip of a demonic melancholy, he called for David to play his harp. The music calmed him, getting him through the episode.


Today was busy with physical labor—helping friends split and stack wood, blowing the leaves out of our yard, practicing my bass. (Yes, the double bass is a physical instrument. It’s size and construction require a fair amount of physicality to play). Conversation and prayer with my friend Jeff this morning got the day off to a great start, but lately, my Bible reading hasn’t revealed much to me. There hasn’t been a word from the Lord for quite a few days, which while not unusual, is a bit distressing to me as I have to preach this Sunday. 


So tonight I’m sitting, meditating and writing, all the while a YouTube video of tropical beaches with soundtrack of cello and piano playing classic and traditional hymns, songs I grew up with. It is a balm to my soul, and I wonder what my kids and grandkids will have when they’re my age. I love much of the contemporary Christian music being produced today, but there is a deep well of hymnody that seems largely forgotten today. I am grateful for composers and lyricists of deep spirituality who have given us such treasures, for those who taught them to me as a youth, and for those with the skill and desire to produce such videos that grace my screen and fill my soul tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment