Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Power of Poverty

September 26, 2019

Today’s Bible reading came from Matthew 10, where Jesus chooses the twelve disciples and sends them out on a missionary venture. The scope of their task was clear: They were to go only to the Jewish people, “And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” —Matthew 10:7-8

Earlier, we’re told that he gave them power, or authority over demons, sickness, and disease; pretty impressive credentials by anyone’s standards. Strictly speaking, this commission was given only to the Twelve, and is not necessarily a model for modern missionary work; after all, they were sent only to their own countrymen. But still we may wonder why we see so little of this sort of thing today, aside from the often dubious shenanigans of certain televangelists. Either this authority was for the disciples only, or it is available to everyone who responds to the call of Christ. If the former is true, the matter rests, and Christianity is reduced to little more than another ethical and moral system with a religious twist.

But if this authority is meant for all Christians, why do we not see more healing, more deliverance, even raising the dead? Perhaps the answer lies in the very next verses in the text:

“Provide neither gold nor silver, nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.” —(Vv. 9-10)

Jesus sent them out with nothing but the clothes on their backs, living in a degree of poverty most of us are unwilling to accept. So the question becomes, “If I am unwilling to let go of all earthly support and trust Jesus to provide everything I need, why should he trust me with the authority to heal and provide deliverance?” It’s a knotty problem, especially for those of us with families. It’s one thing to pursue such a spartan lifestyle for oneself, but asking a spouse and children to live an essentially vagabond life can be problematic. The way this text is structured pushes me to examine not only the claims of the preachers of the “Prosperity Gospel,” but also my own willingness to take Jesus completely at his word. I’ve regularly wrestled with this issue over the course of my life, and have yet to settle the matter. 


Some would claim that Jesus only demands that we be willing to give up everything for him, but how can I be sure I am willing if I don’t actually do it? This much I know: God uses Scriptures like this to challenge and call me to a more devoted life of faith. I am under no illusion that living in voluntary poverty would necessarily make me a better person. While the baubles of this world have the power to pull us away from God, so too, extreme self-denial can be the root of a perverted kind of pride. Listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking through Scripture is not always a black and white affair. Healthy relationships don’t operate that way. So I read, ponder, question, and pray, doing my best to remain open to whatever God would say, giving thanks that my salvation is not dependent on my understanding, my ability to discern clearly what God is saying, nor even my faithfulness. It is God’s gift to me and all people, offered through the merits of Jesus Christ who died and rose again for our sakes. He knows our hearts, and is faithful to fulfill his purposes in us, for which I am thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment