Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Language

September 3, 2019

Communication is tricky. We think language is meant to reveal our thoughts, motives, and feelings, when in fact, it is often the means of hiding our intents, of deception and malice. Even when our intent is pure, the verbal and grammatical limitations, the presuppositions and background of the sender and/or the receiver can twist an otherwise plain and innocuous statement into something unintended. Inflection, tone, body language—all affect communication. 

A couple days ago, I wrote about retiring a second time. In passing, I mentioned a class in fiddling being offered by the New Horizons band of which I am a part. I spoke also of free time, ministry, having good health, brushing up on my Spanish, and jokingly said that my days of being a hunky sex symbol were behind me. The responses to that article were instructive of the elusive nature of language. My daughter and a friend commented on the sex symbol statement, one spoke of good health, another of using my free time to trim trees or make scones, neither of which I mentioned in my post. One offered the opportunity to brush up on my Spanish in the context of ministry, and a good friend offered me his fiddle if I’d play it. 

All of this is evidence of the significance of what we bring to our conversations. This article engendered a multitude of responses corresponding to the interests of the various readers. None of them missed what I was saying, but each one resonated with a different aspect of what I wrote. 

This is why for years I’ve encouraged people to compliment others in writing, but to critique privately, face to face. We’ve all witnessed and perhaps participated in social media conversations that quickly became online shouting matches; people arguing and vilifying people they’ve never even met. That which was intended to bring people together has only widened the chasms in our society, turning minor fizzures into enormous fractures. This slippery nature of language is also why interpreting and preaching from the Scriptures can be so difficult. I’ve too often listened to preachers declare authoritatively that this or that is a clear and definite word from the Lord when it is quite apparent to me that they are only giving their opinion in the guise of unvarnished truth. I believe Truth is objective, verifiable, and univocal, but I also believe that our grasp of it is often pretty paltry. The atheist for example, who declares categorically that there is no God is either ignorant, deluded, or arrogant...perhaps all three. After all, in this great universe, what percentage of knowledge that exists do any of us actually possess? Anyone who denies the existence of God, in order to do so must have absolute and infinite knowledge, which is either rank ignorance, utter delusion, or incomprehensible arrogance.

This elusive, slippery, ephemeral thing called language isn’t perfect because we aren’t perfect, but the beauty of it is in the fact that a few short paragraphs can elicit such a varied response in people, touching what is close to their hearts. I wish I could say that about everything I’ve written, but even if only occasionally, it is reason for giving thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment