Wednesday, September 18, 2019

That Smile

September 18, 2019

He blew in upon a raging blizzard that Sunday evening, stamping the snow from his feet before turning to me with tears in his eyes. The details are unimportant for today’s tale; suffice it to say he was desperate. His life was falling apart and he was at his wit’s end. Which means he was receptive to the Gospel I shared with him. He prayed. Hard. Confessing his sins and begging God to forgive him and help him be a better man, Jesus Christ transformed him that very day.

He knew what needed changing, so he changed. It took awhile to get everything cleaned up and in order, but clean it up he did, and when a few years later he married, the glow on his face lit up the sanctuary. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a smile on a man. Funny thing—it seldom leaves his face. His eyes dance every time I see him, every time he receives Holy Communion.

When his father lay dying, he came and asked if I would go talk with him and tell him about Jesus. I refused. “You do it,” I said. “Why should I deny you the privilege of leading your father to Christ?” He wasn’t sure he was up to it, but was determined to try. We rehearsed a bit, and he went on his way. When he came to church the next Sunday, he was almost floating on air. He had led his father to faith in Christ! The tears of desperation from those years before were now tears of joy streaming down his face. And that smile—it went from ear to ear.I consider it one of my better pastoral successes to have refused his initial request.


I saw him in passing today. I was on my bike and coming to an intersection when I saw an arm shoot out of a car window, waving enthusiastically. I looked closer, and there was that unmistakeable smile. There’s a lot about ministry that is mundane and humdrum, but the privilege of leading someone to Christ and then seeing them do the same for another doesn’t even come close to falling into that category. It is a privilege for which I am deeply grateful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment