Sunday, August 25, 2019

One Last Job

August 25, 2019

Sometimes when reading the Bible, it helps to ask, “Where am I in this story?” After all, these particular stories weren’t chosen for their historical value, but for what they can tell us about ourselves, our world, and our God. Over the last couple weeks, the stories of Elijah and Elisha have caught my attention and imagination. They pushed me to ask myself what I want from God—what big and difficult request I would ask. I can’t ask yet because I am at a crossroad in my life where I don’t know my own heart; what I really want. This past week, these stories have made me wonder if I’ve adequately burned my bridges, letting go of the past so I can follow God’s path for me. When Elijah called Elisha, the latter set fire to his livelihood so he wouldn’t be tempted to return if the going got rough. 

I thought about that this morning. Sometimes the past we need to release contains the guilt or regret that nips at our heels when we launch out in new and life-affirming ways. The devil loves to drag us down; we need to be able to point to a pile of ashes—the guilt, fear, and regret we have burned at the altar of repentance and confession.

Today, I’ve been thinking of Elijah. The pinnacle of his career he now saw in the rear view mirror. He had won a major victory over the 450 priests of Baal, only to be chased out of the country by the vengeful and dangerous queen Jezebel, whose name to this day is synonymous with evil. Elijah had expended an enormous amount of spiritual and physical energy, and was completely spent. God sent him on a vacation for some R&R, but at the end twice asked Elijah what he was doing feeling sorry for himself. Elijah had been telling God how overworked and under appreciated he felt, but God was having none of it. 


Elijah thought he was all washed up, but God had one last job for him. It involved training a successor. This resonates with me. In some ways, my best and most productive years are probably behind me. For better or worse, I pastored a church for more than 30 years. I cut my teeth on a couple small congregations prior to what turned out to be my life’s work, and have had the privilege of leading another in retirement. Today was my last Sunday. It would be tempting to, like Elijah, look back at the glory days of the past, but I haven’t yet anointed my Elisha. I’m listening as carefully as I can, and looking forward to finding and fulfilling this, my next calling. Or perhaps I am Elisha, and need to wait for my Elijah to come walking by...

No comments:

Post a Comment