Thursday, August 22, 2019

Big Dreams

August 22, 2019

I’ve been listening to an audio book that challenges the reader to give everything one has into living fully the life God calls us to live. The author cites example after example of ordinary people who faced incredible challenges and despite every obstacle imaginable, overcame and rose to the top. They are inspiring stories that challenge me to keep pressing on to the finish line. But something keeps niggling in the back of my mind. 

In one of the chapters, the author makes the case that no one can become all God has called him to be without bringing others alongside to help make the dream come true. I’ve experienced that myself. I tend to be a Lone Ranger; I’m an introvert, and prefer being by myself to being with others. But when we began our building project some twenty years ago, there was no way I could have done it by myself. It was my dream, but I had to convince others of it’s importance, and enlist others to give, to serve, to sacrifice. As the motto says, “Teamwork made the Dream Work.”

The author of this particular book told the Biblical story of David and his mighty men, using it to illustrate his point that David could not have fulfilled his God-given role apart from these men. He told the story as an encouragement for the reader to build his own support team who could make the dream come true. 

But if everyone has their own dream, who decides which one takes precedence? David had his Benaiah, son of Jehoiada, his Joab and Asahel; even Uriah the Hittite, whom he betrayed. Didn’t those men have their own dreams? 

My point is, not everyone in this world will overcome his circumstances. Life is a battle, and every battle has its casualties. We often speak of great leaders, but every great leader except Jesus Christ leaves behind a trail of the blood and tears of those who helped him rise to the top. I’m at the stage in my life when I realize I won’t accomplish some of the great plans I once had. I just hope I didn’t leave too many casualties in my wake. 


My name will never go into the history books, but I’m OK with that. I’ve tried to be faithful with what God gave me. I’ve dreamed big and dreamed too small. I’ve dreamed big, worked hard, succeeded, and failed. It’s all in God’s hands, which is enough for me to be thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment