Thursday, August 15, 2019

Intermittent Hearing

August 15, 2019

My right hearing aid is acting up. Yesterday it started snapping and popping like a bowl of Rice Crispies; today it’s turning on and off, going from quiet to static, then back to quiet again. Being under warranty, it’s not a big deal, just annoying. It would be like trying to watch TV and having someone intermittently hitting the mute button. Tomorrow I go to the audiologist to get it fixed or replaced. 


It does make me think, though. Why do I not get annoyed by hearing from God only intermittently? Why is that more the norm than the exception? Sometimes my spiritual reception is loud and clear; at other times it’s full of spiritual static, but I am not particularly bothered by it. I wonder if God is? I’m thinking so. The Bible speaks often of our slowness to hear. Sins, both great and small, create the static that interferes with communication, and like someone playing with the mute button, keep me from getting the fullness of the message he wants to communicate with me. I need to be less annoyed by my intermittent hearing aid, and more annoyed by my intermittent spirit. Tonight, I’m thankful for this annoyance that has gotten me to thinking, and praying for clear and consistent reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment