Saturday, June 1, 2019

Making Music

June 1, 2019

“It’s too much to spend.” That was the sum of her argument, but fortunately, I prevailed and January a couple years ago, I brought home the keyboard recommended by the best in the area, Rik Napoli. It’s been worth every penny. The woman who thought I was being too extravagant is in the other room as I write, playing old hymns and gospel songs much better than she gives herself credit for. 

She’s been taking lessons, working on technique, improving all the time. Along with exercise, she is much more dedicated to the discipline of practice than I am. I tell myself it’s because she actually has real music to play, while I just thump-thump away on the bass, but I know that’s not true. She is just more committed to improvement than I am, and it shows. She plays, and while I type, I get the benefit of hearing old songs I haven’t heard in decades. It’s been a busy day for her, working in the yard, helping our daughter and son in law install a new trampoline, and visiting with old friends at the graduation party of our pastor’s daughter.


I’m no great shakes as a musician. I could never wiggle my fingers fast enough to sit first chair in the band. In high school I was so bad that I almost got scratched from the concert band altogether. My willingness to switch from tenor sax to bassoon was the only thing that kept me in. After all, what self-respecting teenage boy wants to play the bassoon? I actually grew to love the instrument, and picked it up again a few years ago when I joined the New Horizons (aka “Geezer” band). I am living proof that you don’t have to be a good musician to love music. So this music lover finished the day at the All-County concert at Chautauqua Institute, wrapping it all up with a rousing instrumental and choral rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It has been a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment