Wednesday, June 26, 2019

First Night

June 26, 2019

“You look tired!” He spoke in broken English, pointing to his eyes, then at me. “You should go home and sleep.” Pastor Olivo doesn’t know my eyes are perpetually baggy, giving me the look of someone who’s been without sleep for the past 36 hours. Glasses usually hide most of it, but apparently they sagged a little more than usual tonight. Problem is, I wasn’t really tired. Not at all.

The day began early enough as seven of us pastors met for prayer and planning. The weekend kickoff block party had gone well, and we were looking forward to the first of nearly a dozen Wednesday evening recreation times with the neighborhood kids. Before the morning was over, I had given out two of the door prizes to young mothers who had won the drawing. I reminded them of the recreation time tonight, and they both promised to be there. They were.

Fifteen to twenty kids showed up for kickball, noodle hockey, cornhole, and crafts. Each of the churches had at least four or five adults to help keep things running smoothly, and the evening was all I had hoped it would be. Word will spread, and God will give us a foot in the door to people’s lives. We just need to stay aware of the opportunities and not be timid about talking with people. 

At one point, I talked with Oscar, an Hispanic man who was sitting on a park bench as I walked by. We greeted each other, and I told him what we were doing. He was enthusiastic; “The city isn’t doing anything for the kids,” he replied. 

“Well, we’re trying to stand in that gap,” I told him. “Come and join us.” 


“Maybe I will,” he intoned. I hope so. It’s been a good day, and two and a half hours after it ended, I’m still not tired, despite my baggy eyes. I am however, quite thankful for the opportunities I am being given to step into a new world with people much different than me, yet much the same. Their skin color and language and life experiences are different, but our hearts are the same. We both love our children, want a better life, and have a longing deep inside for God, even if we don’t know it. I know it, and am looking for those moments when I can share with them the One who can fill that inner longing as no one else can.

No comments:

Post a Comment