Saturday, June 15, 2019

Mind Games


June 15, 2019

She studies the pieces with intense concentration, trying to figure out the pattern that will enable her to move her little ship from one side of the board to the other. “Stormy Seas” is a puzzle game I picked up some years ago. The older kids played it occasionally, but it has sat untouched on the shelf in our living room closet since we moved here five years ago. This morning, seven year old Gemma picked it up and brought it to me. I showed her how to set it up, arranging the pieces to form different mazes according to the patterns on the deck of cards  that came with it. The beginner set was right up her alley, and she dove into it with enthusiasm, first with my help, and then all by herself.

The night before, Linda rounded up all the grandkids for a rousing hour of whiffle ball in the side yard. She pitched and I as permanent outfielder made myself useless when I couldn’t run and could barely bend over to pick up the ball hit in my vicinity due to a catch in my back that reminded me I’m almost seventy. We did have a good time, though, and everyone was so tired that the older ones didn’t even watch their usual episode of Monk before going to bed.

With all sorts of mindless games available on tablets and phones, games that offers both tactile and mental stimulation is a rarity that many kids would dismiss without thought. Not Gemma. I watched as she thought, moved her pieces, made adjustments, and finally, the exhilaration of success. She played through three different mazes before moving on to something else. 


Combined with a couple other table games this morning, we had an enjoyable time, and I had the pleasure of witnessing a young mind at work. I am thankful that her parents who are quite technologically savvy understand the importance of direct interaction, and for the opportunities Linda and I have twice each month to be a part of it with our grandchildren. Proverbs 17:6 says, “Children's children are the crown of old men...” My crown gleams with jewels, and I wear it on my brow with pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment