Thursday, June 27, 2019

Saving Myself

June 27, 2019

Five years ago when I retired, I was pretty well spent. I knew pastors who had been able to take sabbaticals of up to a year, but never pastored a church that had an endowment or extra cash lying around that could pay me and whoever would replace me during such an extended time away. Not having tried it, I can’t say whether or not I would have been more effective or a better pastor had I done so. But after nearly forty years of almost nonstop work broken by vacations of only a week or two, I was ready for a break. For three years, I had it, and it was glorious. Two Julys ago, I received a call from the Superintendent’s office asking if I would fill in for a week or two in Dunkirk, and the rest, as they say, is history. I’m still there. And enjoying it. The opportunities and challenges are exhilarating, and the people I’ve met and had the privilege of working alongside are wonderful. I almost get itchy thinking of the possibilities; I have no idea how to do what I see needs to be done, but surrounded by such great people, we are taking the plunge.

Today was somewhat of a lazy day. Up at five for our men’s prayer group, puttering around until noon, when Linda and I met some dear friends for lunch. Somehow the early morning crept up on me and I was exhausted, so I actually snoozed for a bit in the afternoon. Granddaughter Alex came over for supper after which I began sanding and taping in preparation for staining the new bannister we had installed on the living room stairs. 

I took time to read my Bible and pray, but the reading for the day didn’t grab me, so I reviewed the sermon I wrote for Sunday. The text from Jonah 2:8 keeps running through my mind, and I remembered one of the reasons I keep doing what I do: preaching keeps me digging in Scripture, and digging keeps my soul healthy. I suspect that without the discipline of preaching, my natural laziness would take over. I would keep reading, but perhaps I wouldn’t take the time or make the effort to dive in for what Paul calls “the meat of the Word.” Someone once claimed that many preachers preach to save their own souls. I believe it...at least for me. Though there are times I dream of actually laying aside this mantle, I am thankful to still be able to do what I do. I don’t preach to the congregation; I preach to me, for it is I who needs salvation the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment