Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Suit and Tie


March 20, 2019

Talking with him was like stepping back in time. I had answered a Craigslist ad for some folding wooden chairs that were being sold by a church in the Buffalo area. This little elderly gentleman neatly dressed in sport jacket and tie met us at the door. He was early for their Wednesday evening service, and took great delight in telling us all about their very conservative form of worship. Parts of what he told us seemed a bit strange; I’m not sure I’d fit in there, but his demeanor and dress impressed me. It was as if he had stepped out the front door of my home church in 1960. 

On the one hand, I’m glad no one has to feel they can’t come to church because they don’t have a suit and tie, but there are times I miss the unspoken dress code that said coming into the presence of God is so important that it deserves our best attire. Were we given an audience with the queen of England, protocol would demand we don’t show up in old jeans and t-shirt. Why would we come into the presence of our holy and living God dressed as if we were going to a summer picnic? 


We aren’t going to be turning back the clock anytime soon, and I’m not sure we should, but I do at times miss those days when people put on their Sunday best. I’m thankful tonight for this gentleman who unknowingly took me back to a simpler, gentler time, and to the personal roots of my faith when it was all new and fresh to me. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment