Monday, March 25, 2019

Breathing Space

March 25, 2019

Sometimes I think prayer is given to us not only to talk to God, but to put a bit of space between ourselves and our circumstances. We live in a world that elevates personal experience and personal feelings above all else as the final arbiter of truth, when in fact our feelings are the smoothest of liars. People who know me would probably not describe me as emotionally driven, but there are times when circumstances are like arrows to my heart, and were I to respond immediately to the situation, it would get ugly in a hurry. 

I’ve often said that prayer doesn’t come easily to me; at least the kind of prayer where words flow. But prayer is my way of giving me enough breathing space to think things through so I don’t end up saying things I’ll later regret. There are times when I want to jump into things prematurely; my emotions are goading me like cattle prods and it takes every ounce of strength to retreat. I can safely rant and rave before God without worry that my words will be misunderstood or that I will cause more harm than good. 


Tonight I pray. I’ve been praying about this situation for some time, and although the circumstances aren’t budging, maybe God is changing me. I hope so. One thing I know for sure: I am thankful tonight for the privilege of prayer. Perhaps the answer I seek isn’t as important as my seeking the One in whom all answers, both revealed and hidden, reside.

No comments:

Post a Comment