Thursday, March 14, 2019

Caleb

March 14, 2019

Once you’re in over your head, it doesn’t matter how deep it gets. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just be able to put life in neutral and coast for awhile. The problem with that is either you’re going downhill or slowing down, which may be ok when riding a bicycle, but isn’t a good plan for life. During a mission trip to Cuba in 2012, one of our partners down there prayed over me and reminded me of Caleb.

Caleb was one of only two spies who brought back a good report to Moses regarding the Promised Land. All the others saw only the obstacles. Caleb and Joshua saw the opportunities, and it made all the difference. Focusing on the problems truncates our vision. Focusing on the opportunities takes the problems into account, but looks beyond them to the end reward. The one gets mired, the other may get delayed, but won’t let the obstacles win.

Caleb and Joshua had to endure forty years of wandering because of the others’ lack of faith, but when the time came to enter the land, old as they were, Caleb reminded Joshua of the promise made a lifetime earlier and said, 

Look, the Lord has kept me alive, just as he said, these forty-five years since the time that the Lord spoke this word to Moses, while Israel walked in the wilderness. And now, behold, I am this day eighty-five years old. I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then, for war and for going and coming. So now give me this hill country of which the Lord spoke on that day, for you heard on that day how the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities. It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the Lord said."”
Joshua 14:10-12 ESV

In 2012 I was anticipating my retirement, but Yamile said to me, “You are a Caleb. You have a mountain to conquer and a church to plant.” In the years since then, instead of planting a church, God planted me in Dunkirk where I was soon in over my head. It is a small city congregation, and I know next to nothing about growing a church, especially in the city. Over my head.

I’ve been playing string bass for the New Horizons jazz band, and recently for the Cassadaga Valley school musical. The latter’s music is very challenging—beyond my skill level. I’m in over my head.


Just this afternoon, I had a conversation with my friend Joel, the fellow who got me started in Cuba. Arriving yesterday from Havana, he told me of a need in Cuba for which I think I may be qualified, but then I remember the times I thought I knew what I was doing and messed it up. Whatever is next for me in Cuba, I know I’ll be in over my head. But none of this matters. Once you’re in over your head, it doesn’t matter how deep it gets. Like Nemo, you just keep swimming. It’s better than coasting. I think I’d rather climb the hill than coast down it. The view is better from the top. Just call me Caleb.

No comments:

Post a Comment