Sunday, March 10, 2019

Refrigeration


March 10, 2019

In the Bailey household, it rarely fails. Rough estimate of the number of people at our dinner tables today is about twenty-five. I may be off by a couple, but I think every folding chair we own was occupied today. But not only did we not run out of food, we had approximately a dozen and a half Italian sausages and hot dogs left over. Linda has this fear of running out of food. I can’t remember the last time that happened, although it must have once upon a time.


In a world where millions regularly go to bed hungry, we have plenty. We don’t spend a lot of money eating out, and Linda is masterful at coming up with tasty and healthy meals. Of course through the week, many of these are variations on leftovers, but I don’t mind. Better to eat what’s in the refrigerator than to let it spoil. Which brings me to this evening’s gratitude. Whoever invented the refrigerator did us all a great service. Think of all the food that would otherwise get thrown out because it wasn’t consumed right away. Linda doesn’t have to spend hours each day cooking, freeing up time for other pursuits. As it is, she puts enough time into it and I get to eat it, which is a lot better than having to eat my cooking. The modern refrigerator adds to our quality of life, and I am thankful for its ability to keep those leftovers fresh until we’re ready to finish them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment