Sunday, June 10, 2018

Old Enthusiasm

June 10, 2018

Just because we’re old doesn’t mean we’re ready to cash it all in. About five years ago when I was in Cuba, I attended a worship service at La Senda Antigua, a vibrant congregation in Jovellanos. As the service was nearing its conclusion, there was a loud BANG! on the tin roof. Immediately, a small boy jumped up from his seat and ran over to the edge of the open-air meeting place. A few moments later, he came trotting up the center aisle with a huge mango in his hand which he gave to the pastor, who then turned to me. 

“Whenever a mango drops from that tree, whoever gets it has to start a new congregation within the year,” the pastor explained as she handed me the mango. “Take it home and plant a church.”

I took the mango and the charge that accompanied it. Due to import regulations, the mango had to stay in Cuba, but the commission came home with me. I’m a little slow on the draw; I didn’t plant a church that year, nor the next, nor the one after that. In fact, I still haven’t done it, but a curious thing has happened in the meantime. Last summer, I was asked to do pulpit supply at a church that had gone through some troublesome experiences and was hemorrhaging members. I agreed, and it looks for now that the bleeding has stopped. That’s the good news. The bad news is that for the most part, the ones left are old like me, and I can vouch for the fact that old people get tired.

But you ought not count us out. Last month one of our members made it known to us that July 14 marks the 100th anniversary of the dedication of our building. Someone who shall remain unnamed for his own protection thought it would be a great idea to have a celebration in the park replete with free food, activities for children, live music and whatever other things we could come up with, and invite the neighborhood to the party. If I ever find out who that crazy person is, I think I’ll wring his neck!


This morning after worship, most of the congregation stayed for a centennial party planning meeting. They had great ideas, and an enthusiasm not often seen in people half their age. These are some great people, and I am humbled to be able to say I am their pastor. Some congregations, having gone through the trials they have endured, would have stuck their hands in their pockets and passed on such an ambitious project. We all know that the only way this can succeed is if God is in it. I think he is, and am looking forward to perhaps not the planting of a new congregation, but the resurrection of an old one. Either way, that’s not a bad deal, and I am grateful tonight to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment