Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Living in Camelot

June 26, 2018

She unapologetically took my grapefruit. She didn’t ask, didn’t say “please” or “thank you.” She simply demanded that I hand it over. I didn’t argue, at least not outwardly. Inside, I considered reasoning with her, cajoling her, shaming her into returning it, but quickly rejected those options. She was a border agent. She asked if I had firearms, weapons, drugs, fruit, or vegetables. I had bought the grapefruit to snack on as I drove home today, but wasn’t hungry, so it sat on the seat. If she hadn’t asked, I wouldn’t have thought to tell her, but the question was right out there, so I confessed. “Put your vehicle in Park, take the key out of the ignition, and give it to me.” She was quiet and calm, but I know an order when I hear one. I wanted to tell her that being a standard, there was no “Park,” but thought better of it. I wanted to get across the border without incident. She lowered the tailgate of the truck, poked around a bit, then returned my passport and waved me through.

“I need my keys,” was the only reply I thought appropriate. Somewhat chagrined, she handed them to me. I understand the reasoning; American agriculture has too often been the recipient of pests brought in either deliberately or unknowingly. I didn’t hand over my grapefruit for my protection, but for the good of others.

Sometimes life is like that. We don’t live only for ourselves, St. Paul tells us. Honest people who break no laws often have their freedoms restricted for the good of the whole. The question always becomes, “Who decides,” and, “How much freedom must we relinquish?” Well-meaning people differ greatly in their answers. Giving up a grapefruit is no big deal; having our First or Second Amendment rights restricted is a big deal. Borders must be guarded for the protection of all within those borders. These are hot button issues, and they all go back to my grapefruit. I had time as I drove to ponder these matters, for which I am grateful tonight, even if I don’t have the answers. Over time, all societies and cultures tend to decay and disintegrate. It begins slowly, but as history amply demonstrates, once it begins, the dissolution rarely turns around. 

I am thankful to be living in this present time. We have grave issues before us as a world, as a nation, as people of faith, or of no faith. But a song from a popular musical nearly sixty years ago keeps running through my head, 

“Ask every person if he's heard the story, 
And tell it strong and clear if he has not
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot...
Don’t let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment that was known
As Camelot.”


The song was a lament for the opportunities lost upon the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and the tumultuous ‘60’s that followed. Yet in many ways, we are still living in a fantasy world, a place like never before seen on this earth. I am grateful for it, but know enough not to place my ultimate hopes in it. Those hopes and dreams I pin on the Lord Jesus Christ and his promised kingdom, and for that promise, I give my greatest thanks tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment