Sunday, June 3, 2018

Conga Worship

June 3, 2018

“In Cuba right now, someone would be forming a conga line!” I had turned to my wife in the middle of our worship team’s leading us in singing “Multiplied,” a song I’d never heard before that, led by Todd’s gravely blues-trained vocals and harmonies by Nate, Jess, and Jeanine, had the congregation singing and swaying to its upbeat rhythm. 

“So, go ahead,” she replied. 

“OK, grab ahold!” 

Linda’s tune quickly changed as she declined to join me. I couldn’t see anyone else in the vicinity, so had to stay in my seat for this, and the next song, “My Soul Longs.” Music has a way of reaching the heart, engaging our souls in ecstasy, lament, or quiet worship. Today, it was the joy of knowing Christ that moved me, preparing me to lead worship in Dunkirk. Tonight, I am thankful for God’s servants who write quality songs that move us in ways that mere words cannot, for our faithful worship teams who lead us into the Presence of God week after week, and for moments like this morning where it all comes together. I couldn’t preach without these people who pave the way to the Word and Table. 


In Cuba, there would have been a conga line. Had I turned to my left and noticed Jeannie Christopherson across the aisle, there would have been one in Sinclairville, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment