Monday, June 11, 2018

Compassion

June 11, 2018

Standing by the grave of his friend, the record states simply that “Jesus wept” (John 11:35). Under ordinary circumstances, this would be perfectly understandable except for the fact that just a short while before, Jesus had said to Martha, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” How can Jesus weep after such words, and knowing what he was about to do?

This affirmation coupled with this expression of emotion seem incongruent. If this were a redneck story, Jesus would be striding up to the tomb winking at his disciples and saying, “hey boys, dry your tears and watch this!” Instead, he stands, perhaps with slumped shoulders heaving as the tears flow. Hardly what we would expect after such a statement of confident faith. What are we to make of it?

Verse 33 I think is key to understanding. Seeing the grief of those around him touched something deep within him; their grief became his own. Matthew 9:36 gives another instance when he was moved by the circumstances of those around him. It is never recorded that Jesus ever prayed to have compassion. It was as he mixed it up with the people that compassion welled up within him. Compassion is not something God gives in response to our prayers. Compassion only comes through being with people; seeing their struggles, watching their dreams die, sitting with them through the dark night of the soul. 


I have never been accused of being overly emotional. Maybe once or twice, but I’m sure they were just being sarcastic. My faith is built as I study God’s Word and pray. But I’ve never grown more compassionate by reading my Bible. It’s only when I’m with people, seeing their struggles and listening to their heartache, that I feel compassion. As introvertive as I am, I need people. Without them, I could become a heartless reclusive Christian—not a good combination. So I am thankful tonight for the opportunities God gives me to be with friends in their time of need. I’m no miracle worker, but I know it develops compassion in me, and I hope my presence can bring strength and comfort to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment