Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Lost and Found

June12, 2018

“Who would want to steal a Ural?” That was my first thought. My second was, “What would they do with it?” Someone steals a Harley, they can parts it out. There are plenty of potential customers who wouldn’t ask questions. But a Ural? I’ve only seen three of them in our area, so anyone who steals one wouldn’t dare be seen riding it, and the market for hot parts is pretty slender. As in nonexistent.

So when I scanned the church parking lot and didn’t see my bike parked there, after an initial panic and just before calling 911 to report it stolen, these thoughts danced through my mind, giving me just enough pause that I didn’t do the stupid thing. 

You might wonder what would be so stupid about calling the police on a stolen motorcycle. I have a good answer: I hadn’t parked it at the church. After the early morning prayer time with some area pastors, I drove it to the Home Depot parking lot where I met Linda before driving to Buffalo for a funeral. My memory doesn’t always rescue me, and many are the times wisdom didn’t arrive till after I had done something dumb. She must have gotten stuck in rush hour traffic. 


Tonight I am thankful that I didn’t call the cops. It would have been a bit embarrassing to be standing in front of Home Depot trying to explain why I wasted their time. It has been said that the Lord watches over children and fools. It’s been a long time since I’ve been a child, but I am today living proof of the truth of that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment