Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Good Preaching


June 13, 2018

Pastors don’t often have the opportunity to themselves hear good preaching, so when it happens, it is a double blessing. Tonight, I heard great preaching at a revival service. The music wasn’t my cup of tea, but I remember when we started contemporary worship in Sinclairville back in ‘93. Howard and Jane Green were old school; they liked the hymns, but they understood that worship wasn’t about them, and that it was important to reach the next generation. They supported something that didn’t speak to them so that others could find their way to Christ. The music tonight didn’t move me like it appeared to move the young people gathered there. 


But the preaching was worth it all. The preacher wove Scriptures together, making connections that hadn’t occurred to me, speaking of living out of our identity in Christ. It is late and I have to be up early tomorrow, so I’m not going to go into detail, but I am grateful that though the music didn’t move me, the preaching did. And I am grateful for a faithful preacher who is almost as old as I am, and is going strong for the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit. In addition to his preaching, his enthusiasm is an encouragement to me to stay strong and faithful, active in ministry for as long as I have breath. (I may regret those words some day, but tonight, they are just the right ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment