Sunday, July 30, 2017

No Vanilla Worship

July 30, 2017

Four-thirty is early, but I had been wide awake for fifteen minutes when it rolled around, so I rolled out of the sack. Literally. Out of the sleeping bag onto the tent floor. A quick shower, and as the sky began to lighten at twenty after five, I was on the road. Three days was long enough to be away from the people I love most. When I received the schedule of events for this year’s national sidecar rally on Thursday, I had fully intended to participate in the Sunday morning non-denominational worship service, but yesterday’s incident where I was told my prayer over breakfast wasn’t non-denominational tipped the scales for me. I could see no reason to attend a bland worship service where it’s impossible to determine to whom the the songs and prayers are being offered. My new friend Larry, commenting on yesterday’s incident, expressed a common sentiment when he told me, “We all worship the same deity.” I know better, but wasn’t interested in getting into it right then. Just as I wasn’t interested in a no-name, vanilla non-worship service.


Four and a half hours later, I rolled into our driveway in plenty of time for Park’s special worship service on the lake. I wasn’t disappointed. The weather was beautiful, the beach was filled with people, the band was outstanding, and pastor Joe spoke plainly and clearly of our need for Jesus Christ, the Savior who loves us and delivers us from our sins. Not having attended the service at the campground, it would be unfair of me to make a comparison, but if the service is as generic as that one man wanted, I’m thankful for the choice I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment