Saturday, July 22, 2017

Mechanics

July 22, 2017

It took me a long time to realize how little I like mechanic’s work. Years ago, I had visions of finding an old classic and bringing it back to life. It almost happened three times. I dragged a 1926 Chevy truck out of the weeds behind Uncle Leonard’s house, hauled it home where it sat till I sold it to someone who knew what he was doing. A 1936 Chevy coupe slipped through my fingers when the young man who owned it sold it for a pittance mere hours before I handed him the $200 he had told me he wanted for it. Then there was the little sports car I found in a private junk yard. I made the mistake of telling a friend about it, who happened to be the nephew of the junk yard owner. He snuck up there a couple nights later, popping my bubble dream of restoring it. 

I worked on my cars back then. I had to. I didn’t have enough money to hire it done. I hated it. When brakes need to be put on, or ball joints replaced, it doesn’t matter that you don’t have the right equipment or that the job needs to be done by tomorrow morning because it’s the only car. you have. Back then, I thought the problem was just my lack of tools, time, and skills. Now, I have the tools, the time, and a few of the skills. What I don’t have is the desire. In my mind, I’ve got better things to do, and fortunately, we now can afford to pay someone who knows what he’s doing, which is a good thing, because cars have become so complicated these days that shade tree mechanics don’t stand much of a chance.

Next week, I plan on taking my bike on an extended ride, and wanted to make sure everything is ready for it. Last Saturday, I cleaned and adjusted the brakes. A few days ago, I got it inspected; today I changed the oil in the engine and transmission, replaced the gear oil in the rear end, balanced the front wheel, and cleaned the grease and oil off the engine. It really wasn’t so bad, but it did take plenty of time. That being said, I am grateful that my bike is old school and fairly simple to work on. And I am grateful that when it comes to vehicles, I can leave our four-wheeled beasts to the professionals.


God plans on taking us on an extended ride some day. We don’t know how soon it will be, but in the meantime, he’s getting us ready for it, making sure everything is up to snuff. He does the necessary cosmetic work, but is more concerned that what’s inside is right, much in the same way as clean oil and gear lube is critical to the survival of the engine. I don’t think God dislikes working on people the way I dislike working on cars, but I am grateful that he doesn’t give up on us. Maybe he’s looking forward to that final ride like I’m looking forward to mine next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment