Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Tiny Spark


July 26, 2017

Be careful what you ask for…you might just get it. When I agreed to come out of retirement to serve an area congregation as interim pastor, I told the district superintendent that I was not interested in just popping in and out on aSunday morning; that if I were going to do the job, it would be all or nothing. She agreed. 

Then I asked how much freedom I would have to do what I see necessary to engage the larger community. I thought for sure I would be told to sit back and keep things tidy. Today I met with one of the conference persons responsible for new church starts and Hispanic ministry. When I posited my question to him, he said, “You are the pastor here. Do what you need to do.” What I think I need to do involves a lot more work than I had planned on. Again, be careful what you ask for.

The good news is, much to my surprise, I am feeling a spark reigniting inside me. I had actually hoped it had been put to rest for good, but no such luck. I don’t have many ideas as to how to accomplish anything beyond weekly preaching, but I never let ignorance stop me before. A song is now playing in my head, something about fools rushing in. But how can I do otherwise? I preached Sunday about hope when it seems all hope is gone, and about the future God has for us. It would be hypocritical of me to talk hope while walking away from those who need it most. 


So…the spark has been struck. Now for some tinder and kindling. I wonder what kind of Holy Spirit fire we can ignite. Thank you, Jesus, for doing in me what I had no desire to do, but now do.

No comments:

Post a Comment