Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Closer than a Brother

July 25, 2017

“There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” So says Proverbs 18:24. If you find one such friend in a lifetime, you can consider yourself blessed. This evening, Linda had a planning meeting for an upcoming Women’s retreat. Her friend Beth was among those on the planning team, so I called her husband, my best friend Harry. “How ‘bout coffee or dinner?” I asked. “Since I’ve been preaching in Dunkirk, I feel cut off from my friends and family at Park.” I didn’t say it out loud, but most of all, I missed talking with him.


For thirty years, we’ve been friends, walking through the fire and flood together. When things were at their worst, Harry was there for me. We’ve worked together, worshipped together, walked together through thick and thin. Tonight, we talked over Beef on Weck and coffee before sitting on his porch as the sun went down, just talking. As a pastor for most of my life, words have been my stock in trade, but I don’t have ones adequate to describe how tonight’s conversation filled my soul. Closer than a brother; that’s my friend, to whom and for whom I am thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment