Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Ordinary

March 28, 2017

Is it any less a reason for gratitude if you are delivered from a great catastrophe of which you weren't aware? Today was a pretty uneventful day. No major issues to face, no great accomplishments to boast, and so nothing that comes to mind as a subject for gratitude. There are lots of little things I could mention, but nothing particularly worthy enough to be put to print, which in itself is worthy of thanks. Recently in our area, there have been a spate of arsons, and one suspicious fire that put 19 people out of their homes. I haven't had to deal with the loss of my home and possessions. Our kids and grandkids are healthy and faithfully serving Christ; we haven't had to bury a child lost to cancer or addiction. In a couple months, Linda and I will celebrate 47 years of marriage; neither of us have had to weather the heartache of unfaithfulness, drifting apart, or divorce.

While people in high places fight over political ideology and people in low places get all worked up over party and policy, I rest in the knowledge that my life is in God's hands, and that what really matters cannot be guaranteed nor destroyed by human action. I might prefer certain policies and outcomes, but my life doesn't depend on them.

So life swirls on, and we may never know how close to disaster we came today. Grace is all around us. Ordinary too, is blessed, and reason for gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment