Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Options

March 14, 2017

A couple years ago when I was in the market for a tractor, a good friend told me that while a backhoe attachment is nice occasionally, they aren't really necessary most of the time. A front end loader on the other hand, is indispensable. I bought a tractor with the loader, and while I cannot vouch for the relative usefulness of a backhoe, I wouldn't want to be without the bucket. I've plowed, moved topsoil and gravel, and carried tons of rocks.

Now I'm in the market for a toothbar, an attachment that enables one to dig more efficiently. There are two basic designs; one with longer and fewer teeth, one that has some wicked serrations that dig (although perhaps not quite as well as the long tooth models), but also are efficient at cutting through brush. I've spent hours checking the reviews, and get people who rave about each design, which leaves me back where I started: undecided.

No, I'm not soliciting advice, although I wouldn't refuse it. I am merely thankful to have options. I've been places where neither one would be available at any price, and I've been through times when the only way I would be able to get something like this would have been to have it given to me. I can't say that tonight's ruminations are particularly spiritual, but they do give me reason for gratitude on this cold, blizzardy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment