Friday, March 17, 2017

Favorite Holidays

March 17, 2017

My two favorite holidays are Christmas and St. Patrick's Day. People wouldn't be surprised to know about Christmas, although the reason it's my favorite is not because of Santa Claus or even Jesus, as sacrilegious as that sounds. We celebrate December 25 as Jesus' birthday because that's the day that has been handed down to us by tradition, but in reality, no one really knows for sure exactly when Jesus was born. December 25 is as good as any day, so I'll stick with it, celebrating Jesus' birth and attending the special programs that proliferate that time of year. What I really love about Christmas however, is that our granddaughter Abi was born just after the Christmas Eve service for that year concluded at midnight. I didn't wait around to greet people, rushing instead to the hospital to greet this beautiful Christmas gift all snuggled down in a baby-sized stocking. In the Bailey household ever since that Christmas Day in 1999, Christmas ends at 6:00 pm, and we begin celebrating Abi's birthday.

St. Patrick's day is not a favorite because I like green beer. I don't even like the regular stuff. It has nothing to do with Leprechauns, although we have over the years tried our hardest to catch them. And it's not because I'm Irish. I'm not. If I tried to sing like an Irish tenor, something inside would pop. St. Patrick's day is my second favorite holiday because on that day in 2006, granddaughter Eliza was born. Although at times she could pass for a Leprechaun, she is 100% Andersen, and like Abi and our other grandchildren, the joy of our lives.

These two are the only ones born on recognizable holidays. I love all my grandchildren, but these two have a special place in my heart for making it easier for me to remember their birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment