Thursday, October 27, 2016

Sleep

October 27, 2016 Sleep. It's a beautiful thing. Sleep deprivation can kill you, and experts tell us we in modern America don't get enough. Somehow, we imagine that in our self-controlled world, we can do without it, or at least with less of it. With modern lighting, we stretch the days out into the late night, add television entertainment, a little internet, and before you know it, the time we allot to sleep slowly erodes, and with it, our health and sanity. The Bible says that God gives his beloved sleep. In spite of all this, we often find it difficult to get to sleep or stay asleep. One time when I was wide awake in the middle of the night, I simply prayed, "Lord, the Bible says you never sleep nor slumber. Since you're going to be awake anyway, there's no reason for both of us to be up, so I'd appreciate it if I could just get to sleep." He stayed awake; I did not. God loves us so much that he sent his Son to die for us. If his love moved him to go that far, giving us sleep is pretty minuscule. I'm thankful for sleep, and think I'll get some now.

No comments:

Post a Comment