Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Receiving and Giving

October 25, 2016 Even a mere ten years ago it wouldn't have been possible to do what I did today. The desire was there, but I just didn't have the equipment. Today I do, and had the blessing of using it to help someone in need. About 11:30, my friend Harry showed up at our door, ready to work. We drove over to son Nate's to get the flatbed trailer and load up my tractor before heading to Falconer. Saturday while I was doing prison ministry, Harry and a bunch of Park church folks were in Falconer digging a drainage trench, laying tile, and wheelbarrowing gravel to try to fix what was a horribly soggy yard and basement for a couple who had a need, but not the resources to do the job. A couple years ago, Linda and I went halves with Nate on a trailer for hauling firewood. Last summer, Linda and I bought our tractor with loader. Neither of these would have been possible ten years ago; we just didn't have the money. But we were blessed with good jobs, faithful with saving, and now are reaping the rewards of having been frugal for so long. We have half a trailer and the tractor to go on it. With bucket and backblade, Harry and I were able to spread a pile of gravel over our friends' driveway. Nate had been using the tractor to load his firewood into his basement woodshed, making that job a whole lot easier. Today, we smoothed out a driveway, and when I got everything home, mowed our lawn and that of another friend whose mower is in the shop. Next week I take my outfit to the dealer for its fall checkup. In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying the greater blessing of giving. Jesus said that much will be required of those who have been given much. Most of the time when we think of things required of us, it isn't with much pleasure. Requirements are often necessary evils, but this is one requirement I am eager to fulfill, for it keeps giving back, pressed down, shaken together, running over. It's hard to beat a deal like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment