Sunday, October 2, 2016

It's Possible

October 2, 2016 Sometimes it's good to know what is possible even if we ourselves shall never attain to it. I happened upon a video of Lev Weksler playing "The Flight of the Bumblebee" by Rimsky-Korsakov. On the double bass. With himself. I would not have believed it possible for that piece to be played on such a large instrument, but he does it, with a precision and tonal richness that demonstrates potential that I will never attain. The important thing though, is that it is possible. Jesus lived life fully in the power of the Holy Spirit, enduring tests and temptations just as we face, yet without sin. And he did it as an ordinary human being, having surrendered his divine prerogatives when he was born of the virgin. He demonstrated to us that holiness is possible, even if all mankind falls short of it. The possibility of holiness has ben proven. I will never even come close to becoming a virtuoso on the double bass, but I've seen what is possible, and by it am encouraged to keep practicing. I don't expect to achieve any significant proficiency, but I do expect to get better than I am now. The only perfection I expect to achieve in life is that which I have by virtue of Christ's perfection being credited to my account (the old Biblical phrase for this is that his righteousness is "imputed" to me). But although in my humanity I cannot hope to reach what some call sinless perfection, I know it's possible, so I'll keep practicing. I know I won't get it perfect, but I can be better than I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment