Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Down Side of Up

July 14, 2015

Sometimes despite my best efforts and intentions, I still have days when I have to work at being thankful. Today was one of those days. It's rained almost continually for days on end. The creek out back has been roaring and raging. Last night's men's group was a beautiful thing, but the prayer list is incredible; people going through marital struggles and divorce, medical issues, addictions. This morning I visited two people in the nursing home, who barring a miracle will probably die there. Our granddaughter in Uganda is battling some sort of infection. We pray about all these, but can do nothing tangible to affect any of them. The news is no help whatsoever, with wall to wall stories of human stupidity, brutality, deceit, the will to power, and greed.

My only recourse is to immerse myself in Scripture, in the promises of God, reminding myself of the grace in which we stand. And to pray. So far, none of this has lifted me to any heights of ecstasy, but I haven't succumbed to depression, either. I accept the fact that life has its ups and downs, and know that I have been blessed beyond imagination, so having an off day is but a small inconvenience, not a pattern. There are countless people around the world who would trade places with me any day of the week. So although I am not filled with laughter and feel somewhat subdued, this too shall pass, and I am grateful to live where I live, know the people I know, and be loved by the God who proved that love in the death of his own Son for my sins. And I am grateful that just taking the time to reflect and redirect my attention to my blessings begins to lift the cloud that has surrounded me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment