Monday, July 27, 2015

Redeemed!

July 27, 2015

Whatever you think of Donald Trump, there's no question that he knows how to make news. His bid for the presidency probably won't go any further this time than it has before, but he certainly makes things interesting. Just this morning I read an article about him in which he was asked if he ever asked God for forgiveness. His answer was that he never recalled having done so.

 “I am not sure I have. I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don’t think so.” Then he added, “I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don’t bring God into that picture. I don’t.” Trump went on to admit that he did participate in Holy Communion: “When I drink my little wine—which is about the only wine I drink—and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed.”

The article goes on to wonder how Trump, a self-professed Presbyterian, could have missed the prayer in the "Service for Repentance and Forgiveness:

"Merciful God,
we confess that we have sinned against you
in thought, word, and deed,
by what we have done,
and by what we have left undone.
We have not loved you
with our whole heart and mind and strength;
we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.

In your mercy forgive what we have been,
help us amend what we are,
and direct what we shall be,
do that we may delight in your will
and walk in your ways,
to the glory of your holy name."

I bring this up not as a criticism of Trump. He receives plenty of that without my help, and besides, he is far from alone in his failure to see his need of forgiveness. Reading this article at the beginning of the day, I gave thanks that God in his mercy has forgiven me. Christ died for our sins, and God credited me with the righteousness of his Son. How incredible is that? It took a long time for me to really grasp the significance of Christ's atonement, but I am living in the light of it every day. This liturgical prayer is just as apropos today as it was the day I first prayed it years ago. Repentance and forgiveness makes life worth living. The Christian group Big Daddy Weave says it about as well as anyone:

"Seems like all I could see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me "son
Stop fighting a fight it's already been won"

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be
I am redeemed, I'm redeemed

All my life I have been called unworthy
Named by the voice of my shame and regret
But when I hear You whisper, "Child lift up your head"
I remember, oh God, You're not done with me yet

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, yeah, I'm not who I used to be
Oh, God, I'm not who I used to be
Jesus, I'm not who I used to be
'Cause I am redeemed
Thank God, redeemed."

How could I not go to bed thankful in light of this amazing grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment