Tuesday, July 7, 2015

On the Road Again (with apologies to Willie)

July 7, 2015

The Ural is on the road again! Last week when I pushed it out of the garage to get at the mower, I noticed the drive shaft chucking on the U-joint. Not good! I immediately called up Holopaw Ural in Florida, and three days later, it was in the mailbox. Not bad, considering it was a holiday weekend. The fix included removing the rear wheel, then the entire drive assembly. Never having attempted this before, I consulted the Ural forum, then dove in. It took a few hours, but by 11:00 pm Monday night, everything was back in place, and that even included time for Men's Bible Study.

This morning I had some business to attend to in Pleasantville, PA, nearly two hours from home. The bike ran flawlessly down and back which, given my mechanical abilities, is just short of miraculous. It was a beautiful morning for a ride. Nothing broke, no parts fell off; it was totally uneventful, which is what I like in motorcycle rides.

The gratitude prompt for today was blessings of challenges, conflict, and change. Mechanical repair is not exactly a major challenge; this isn't' the space shuttle, after all. But there is satisfaction in having met the challenge rather than simply hiring it out to the professional. Having it actually turn out right is added bonus! As for the conflict and change, I'm content to leave them for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment