Saturday, July 11, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me

July 11, 2015

Today is my birthday, and it's been a great one! No big party--that will come later when we celebrate mine, Deb's, and Matt's all at once. What made it great wasn't the gifts, although Linda's giving me some cash to pay for the Gospel pamphlet I want to have printed is a big gift. What made the day great was the people. 

Last night, I wasn't allowed in the living room. The grandkids were busily at work constructing an enormous birthday card, complete with balloons, stenciling, and stickers, and signed by each child. I got up early to get the griddle ready for the morning's pancakes, and when I finally got to sit down myself, the card was there at my place at the table. My friend Ken showed up at 8:00 to  help with the wiring of my garage. We had breakfast together, then got to work. Actually, Ken got to work, while I watched. 

At a lull in the work in which Ken went for supplies, I took the trailer load of village yard sale stuff over to Nate's. My 92 year old mother, and granddaughter Alex in Uganda called to wish me a happy birthday, the latter giving me the opportunity to pray with her. Before the day was over, a friend stopped at the house to pay for a pair of '80's-era Harley gas tanks I had for sale, before inquiring about the lawn mower. We headed out to a graduation party where for a couple hours, we visited with family and friends. When we got home, a number of birthday cards and email wishes were waiting for me. No amount of tangible gifts could possibly match the wishes and hugs from my grandchildren, the thoughtfulness of my wife, Ken's gift of time and expertise, or the conversation of friends at someone else's party. Stuff is stuff; but time together is eternal in my heart. It has been a happy birthday, and my gratitude is heartfelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment