Monday, July 20, 2015

Reigniting the Fire

July 20, 2015

I can't remember the last time I had a day without some major project looming overhead. Today was spent reading and relaxing, for which I almost felt guilty, like I wasn't accomplishing stuff that needs to be done. It was good however, to just sit and read, to hear in the background the kids down at the swimming hole, to pray, and jot down some beginning thoughts for a sermon I'll be preaching Sunday at a neighboring church. All in all, a pretty mellow day.

This evening, Roy Miller gave a presentation on his recent mission trip to Uganda. At one point, he commented on how exhausting these trips are for someone who is as much an introvert as he is. I've known Roy for years, and still have trouble thinking of him as an introvert. When he speaks, he is as animated as anyone I know, but I know that this kind of animation is the product of the nature of the job. Any preacher worth his salt knows the craft, and what it takes to communicate a message of such importance. Add to that the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, and Roy is whipping up enthusiasm for missions as effectively as anyone I've ever heard. One of the themes of his talk was that God loves to bless his people when they listen to his command to go into all the world with the Gospel. "If you want to experience this kind of blessing, go to the mission field," he intoned.

As I listened, I thought of the contrast between his enthusiasm and my inner workings lately. After the meeting, I was talking with Ted, a layman whose love for Christ and devotion to ministry is an inspiration, and commented that it feels like the fire has all but gone out inside me. Talking with Linda just a few minutes ago, she reminded me that (due to circumstances beyond our control) I hadn't been on a mission trip in almost two years, and haven't been to a Christian conference in longer than that. Although there is something almost electric about many of the leadership and pastors' conferences I've been to over the years. I could do without them if need be. The mission trips are another matter altogether. I have no desire to return to leading a congregation, but if life isn't more than the work I'm doing around the house, my world has shrunk too much, and it's time to expand my horizons. Saturday we meet with one of our mission team from Cuba to plan for the work there; it is time to gear up again. Life, real life, awaits, and it's time to get back in the game. I am grateful for tonight's presentation, for Roy's enthusiasm, and for the many brothers and sisters who encourage me on a daily basis to live up to the calling of God on my life. They were there in full force tonight, a platoon of men and women who stand shoulder to shoulder for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment