Thursday, June 11, 2015

Trial By Fire--NOT!

June 11, 2015

It's hard to believe Linda is enthusiastic about it. A few years ago when I mentioned that I planned on tackling this particular home improvement job, her response was, "I hope you don't burn down the house!" Confidence-building is her specialty. Really though, I can't blame her. The only thing I know about wiring is what I've read in the do-it-yourself books available at Home Depot and through Readers Digest. But I'm pretty good at reading; like the old Holiday Inn ads, I must be an expert!

For the past couple days, I've been placing junction boxes, stringing wire, generally getting ready to put it all together. Lights first, then the power tool receptacles, maybe by tomorrow night I'll finally have decent lighting in the garage. It's a good plan, the only problem with it being, once I have good lighting, there'll be no excuse for my poor mechanical work. If something I'm putting back together has a few extra bolts or nuts lying around at the end, I could always say, "It was kinda dark when I was working on it." No more. Same goes for woodworking projects. I'll have no excuses for cutting the board too short.

It takes me quite a bit longer than an experienced electrician because I have to think through all sorts of stuff the professional knows almost instinctively. Where the junction boxes need to be for the rag-tag collection of fixtures I have accumulated; let's see, do I connect this wire to that one, or to the other? I don't understand the theory behind electricity, so the best I can do is simply follow instructions. Nothing creative or innovative here. I really don't care to burn down our house...or my garage.

Tonight when Linda looked it over, she was enthusiastic. I hope both of us will be when I flip the switch for the first time tomorrow. Right now, I'm tired and my right foot (the one with the heel spur) is plenty sore. But I'm in good health otherwise, and grateful for honest work that tires the body without wearying the soul. It's been the other way around for most of my life, so this is a treat, and I'm grateful for it. The Fourth Commandment regarding the day of rest includes the words, "six days you shall work," a reminder that while we are commanded to take time to rest and reflect on the work of God, we are also commanded to work after the pattern of God. I did that today, and now can ponder how my work is a reflection of the character of God. I just hope my creation is not destined to end in a ball of fire, as is prophesied of God's. Linda would not be very enthusiastic about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment