Friday, June 19, 2015

An Uncluttered Evening

June 19, 2015

Tonight is a grandkids' overnighter; all except the eldest is sacked out somewhere in the house. Earlier, seven-year old Nathan organized a rousing game of kickball while I built and tended a fire for 'smores. From down on the creekbank where I had built the fire, I could hear the game progressing, with occasional disagreements as to whether this or that one had been tagged out. Listening to the chatter took me back to my own childhood, playing ball in the back yard. There were no adults, no referees or coaches, and the rules were, shall we say, somewhat flexible. There is much to be said for an uncluttered and unstructured childhood. These days, organized sports (organized by the adults, that is) consume a great deal of many kids' free time. Whether it's soccer or softball, the rules are as formal as the uniforms, and the teams are coordinated by a committee of adults, and disputes are settled not by the kids, but by umpires and referees. Undeveloped is the art of negotiation; deference to outside authority on the other hand, is a lesson learned early; a pattern that doesn't bode well for future freedom.

It's easy for old duffers like me to wax nostalgic; but I do believe kids today are missing out on a lot of childhood, and to me, that is unfortunate. That's why I am glad that tonight we played by Geezer rules, ie. we made them up as we went along. The kids had a great time playing, after which we ate 'smores, threw rocks in the creek, and watched in amazement as Izzi, Jo, and Mattie went swimming then shivered their way up to the house for a hot shower. Crazy kids! Tomorrow's ballgames were cancelled because of standing water on the fields, so everyone gets to sleep in. But tonight, Linda and I had the privilege of adding just a bit more soul brick and mortar to these who have been entrusted to us. It's slow work, and will go on long after we are gone. Before I nod off to sleep, I will pray them into the future and into God's hands. Who knows but that one of these in our care might become the one who stands in the gap for millions, God's man or woman of the hour? St. Paul warns us to take care how we build; it is for eternity. Tomorrow morning, French toast, eggs and sausage will feed bodies while conversation and love will nourish souls, and I will be thankful for the privilege of being a part of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment